Profiles System Description
The Profiles system lets you create, collect, track, store, and use business data
The Profiles System stores two main business data object types: profiles and site terms. You
use profiles to characterize users, organizations, addresses, credit cards, currencies, and other
objects that you want to define and track to support your business objectives. You use site terms
to provide a limited set of choices for users when they enter personal preferences or other
information in your Web site. The Profiles System includes the following functional and scale
benefits necessary to support large-scale enterprise deployments:
- Data partitioning. Allows for distribution of physical stores for membership and user
- Data aggregation. Allows for unified access to multiple heterogeneous physical stores, such
as SQL Server.
- Data encryption. Provides hashing and encryption properties for storing sensitive data such
as credit cards and user passwords.
- User profile management user interface. Access and manage profiles and site terms through
the Customer and Orders Manager Windows Smart Client Web services-enabled application.
- Profile schema management user interface. Create, modify, and manage profile definitions and
site terms by using the Profile Schema Manager.
The following table describes the Profiles System features and enhancements:
Table 1. Profiles System Features
- Predefined profiles. Default profiles for addresses, blanket purchase orders, credit
cards, organizations, user objects, and currency.
- Manage profile schema. Extend the Profiles database schema by creating your own custom
properties for profile definitions.
- Profile definition management.
- Create, change, and delete data sources, data objects, and data members.
- Add custom attributes to data sources, profile definitions, and profile properties.
- Create, change, and delete profile definitions.
- Change and organize profile properties.
- Schema import/export. Import and export profile schema.
|Application Programming Interfaces
- Authorized profile API. Manage profile authorization programmatically.
- Bulk query syntax API. Perform bulk query of profile database programmatically.
- Profile runtime API. Find, create, and store user profile data programmatically.
- Profile schema API. Manage profile schema definitions programmatically.
- Site terms management API. Manage definition of site terms programmatically.
- Profile Web service API. Allows for distributed management of the Profiles System plus
client connectivity support.
- Customer and Orders Manager. Find and view user profiles and define site terms by
using a Windows Smart Client Web services-enabled application.
- Profiles Schema Manager. Manage profile definitions and site terms.
- BizTalk Adapter for Profiles. Exchange profile data with external systems
- Synchronization. Synchronize any line-of-business system with profile data on the
||Analytics integration. Generate reports on user activity.
- Distinct Users by Time
- New Registered Users
- Registered User Properties
- Registered Users by Date Registered
- User Days to Register
- User Registration Rate
- User Trends
- Profile data encryption/decryption. provides
two encryption methods: one-way hash for storage of password secrets, and asymmetric
encryption for storage of credit cards and other data that requires separate decryption.
- Property encryption. Support for one-way hashing of passwords and asymmetric,
reversible encryption for properties.
- Membership provider for Microsoft Visual Studio. Support for Profiles data store to
participate in ASP.NET membership authentication.